1. The students expected there ______ more reviewing classes before the final exams.
A. is B. to be C. being D. have been
2. Where shall I put my boxes? The drawer is the place ______.
A. to put them B. putting them in C. to put in them D. to put them in
3. She has no pencil ______.
A. to write about B. to write with C. to write D. to write in
4. Though small, the room is comfortable ______.
A. to live B. to live in C. living in D. live in
5. The girl walked quietly into the room ______ awake her roommates.
A. so as to B. in order not to C. so as to not D. for to not
6. We were surprised at ______ the exam.
A. him not pass B. his passing not C. his not passing D. him not to pass
7. ______ one’s work properly may be worse than not doing it at all.
A. Not to do B. Doing not C. Doing D. Not doing
8. He prided himself on ______ at chess.
A. having never beaten B. having been never beaten
C. having never been beaten D. never have been beaten
9. “How did you learn to drive?” “______ strict obedience to my tutor.”
A. Giving B. By giving C. Give D. To give
10. Jane was scolded by the director because he left the office with the door ______.
A. unlocking B. not being locked C. unlocked D. not locking
11. ______ in ancient times, the book still appeals to readers today.
A. Though it written B. Though written C. It was writer D. Written it was
12. After a whole day’s heavy work, the old worker returned home, ______.
A. hungry and felt exhausting B. hunger and exhausted
C. hungry and exhausted D. hungry and having been exhausted
13. The old writer could not sleep at night, his wrongs and sorrows ______ him no peace.
A. gave B. have given C. being given D. giving
14. Television has become a major instrument of communication, ______ us to see as well as to hear all kinds of programmers.
A. to permit B. permitted C. being permitting D. permitting
15. The decision ______, what is to be done now is how to carry it out.
A. been made B. has been made
C. having been made D. having been making
16. Some people are sitting on the grass; others are strolling along the lake side, ______.
A. chatting and to laugh B. to chat and to laugh
C. chatting and laughing D. chatting and laughed
17. I was overjoyed at the news of my hometown ______ so much progress.
A. to make B. to have made C. made D. having made
18. Electrical resistance is a common property of all materials, ______.
A. only differs in degree B. only in degree it differs
C. differing only in degree D. and differing in degree only
19. That the brain, once ______ oxygen, dies has been proved.
A. depriving of B. deprived C. being deprived D. deprived of
20. The Red Cross ______ help for refugees, over two million dollars have been raised.
A. appeals for B. appeals to C. has been appealing for D. appealing for
21. ______, the mountain looks like an elephant.
A. Having seen from a distance B. Having been seen from a distance
C. Seeing from a distance D. Seen from a distance
22. She had said little so far, responding only briefly when ______.
A. speaking B. spoken to C. spoken D. speaking to
23. ______, Hong Kong acts as a gateway into and out of Taiwan.
A. Strategically located B. It is located strategically
C. Where strategically located D. Because located strategically
24. In the 1850’s Harriet Beecher Stow’s Uncle Tom’s Cabin became the best seller of the generation, ______ a host of imitators.
A. inspiring B. inspired C. inspired by D. to inspire
25. ______ the financial means to remain independent, Edison was compelled to seek employment as a night telegraph operator.
A. He was deprived of B. Deprived of
C. That he was deprived of D. Although he was deprived of
26. We were greatly encouraged by the news of China ______ another man-made satellite.
A. to have launched B. to launch C. launched D. having launched
27. Maggie ran back to the kitchen, eggs ______ carefully in her hands.
A. to be held B. held C. were held D. holding
28. The speaker, ______ for her splendid speeches, was warmly received by the audience.
A. having known B. being known C. knowing D. known
29. In the course of a day, students do far more than just ______ classes.
A. attend B. attended C. to attend D. attending
30. ______ with the size of the whole earth, the highest mountain does not seem high at all.
A. When compared B. Compare C. While comparing D. Comparing
31. A new technique ______ the yields as a whole increased by 20 percent.
A. working out B. having worked
C. having been worked out D. to have been worked out
32. ______ after a long walk, Harry called and said he couldn’t come.
A. Having worn out B. Be worn out C. To wear out D. Worn out
33. Thank you for your letter of 20th April ______ your application for the post as production controller.
A. with reference B. concerning C. in connection to D. as to
34. ______ to the right, you will find a path leading to his cottage.
A. Turned B. Turning C. To turn D. Being turned
35. He bought that house, ______ that he would inherit money under his uncle’s will.
A. considering B. assuming C. estimating D. accounting
36. John was relying on there ______ another opportunity.
A. is B. being C. to be D. are
37. ______ from the hilltop, the lake scenery is beyond description.
A. To see B. Seeing C. Having seen D. Seen
38. It ______ now pretty late, we took our candles and retired.
A. is B. being C. turned D. got
39. When ______ with a strong enemy, they had always retreated.
A. being faced B. facing C. faced D. being facing
40. After ______ for the job, you will be required to take a language test.
A. being interviewed B. interviewed
C. interviewing D. having interviewed