1. Even if it ______ this afternoon, I will go there.
A. has rained B. will rain C. rains D. will have rained
2. ______ last year and is now earning his living as an advertising agent.
A. He would leave school B. He left school
C. He had left school D. He has left school
3. We ______ each other for ten years.
A. had known B. have known C. have been knowing D. know
4. They fulfilled the plan earlier than they ______.
A. have expected B. expected C. were expecting D. had expected
5. “Will she finish the work soon?”
“Yes, she ______ it by next Friday. ”
A. shall finish B. finish C. have finished D. will have finished
6. It ______ almost every day so far this month.
A. is raining B. rained C. rains D. has been raining
7. My wife ______.
A. has forever criticized me B. forever criticizing me
C. was forever criticizing me D. is forever criticizing me
8. He ______ in a small workshop, but now he is the head of a big business company.
A. used to working B. was used to work
C. used to work D. was used to working
9. My grandmother ______ rural life.
A. has used to B. used to C. is used to D. uses to
10. I ______ my breakfast when the morning post came.
A. had B. had been having
C. was having D. have been having
11. I’m glad that Peter decided to come to the party because we ______ him for several years.
A. haven’t seen B. don’t see
C. will have lasted D. hadn’t seen
12. The conference ______ a full week by the time it ends.
A. has lasted B. lasts
C. will have lasted D. is lasted
13. The computer, working very fast, ______ data at the speed of light.
A. has handled B. handled
C. handling D. handles
14. The sun ______ in the east and ______ in the west.
A. rise, set B. rises, sets
C. rose, set D. is rising, is setting
15. Yesterday afternoon Frank Hawkins ______ his experience as a young man.
A. was telling B. told
C. tell D. is telling
16. While people may refer to television for up-to-the-minute news, it is unlikely that television ______ the newspaper completely.
A. replaced B. have replaced
C. replace D. will replace
17. The fifth generation computers with artificial intelligence ______ and perfected now.
A. developed B. have developed
C. are being developed D. will have been developed
18. Before the first non-stop flight in 1949, it ______ necessary for all planes to land for refueling.
A. would be B. has been
C. had been D. would have been
19. It’s reported that by the end of this month the output of cement in the factory ______ by about 10%.
A. will have risen B. has risen
C. will be rising D. has been rising
20. It seems oil ______ from this pipe for some time. We’ll have to take the machine apart to
put it right.
A. had leaked B. is leaking C. leaked D. has been leaking
21. The last half of the nineteenth century______ the steady improvement in the means of travel.
A. has witnessed B. was witnessed C. witnessed D. is witnessed
22. If she doesn’t tell him the truth now, he’ll simply keep on asking her until she ______.
A. does B. has done C. will do D. would
23. My train arrives in New York at eight o’clock tonight. The plane I would like to take from there ______ by then.
A. would leave B. will have left C. has left D. had left
24. She ought to stop work; she has a headache because she ______ too long.
A. has been reading B. had read C. is reading D. read
25. Not until the game had begun ______ at the sports ground.
A. should be have arrived B. had be arrived
C. did he arrive D. would he have arrived
26. I don’t think she’d be upset, but I’ll see her in case ______.
A. she’ll B. she is C. she does D. she would
27. The construction of the office building ______ before the end of next month.
A. must have completed B. must have been completed
C. must be completed D. must complete